In 2019, San Diego Seniors Community Foundation completed the first-ever study of senior centers in San Diego County, revealing that San Diego regional senior centers are generally outdated, underfunded and understaffed facilities that serve less than 8% of the region’s older adult population. Building off of those findings, our team has undertaken a new project to develop a master business plan for senior centers in San Diego County. The report will be a comprehensive overview of how to achieve a robust network of sophisticated senior centers to serve new and future generations of older adults.
Following a thorough research effort, the business plan will:
- Provide an overview of senior demographics in the San Diego region and in each community
- Propose optimal senior center models and amenities that will effectively serve our older adult population
- Identify areas where new senior centers are needed
- Identify senior centers that could benefit from refurbishment, upgraded equipment, and expansion of facilities
- Estimate the capital costs required to make recommended improvements
- Detail the steps that must be accomplished to implement the plan
- Describe the key role of philanthropy in enabling this regional effort
- Identify agencies, municipalities, nonprofit organizations, and other stakeholders that will need to be involved
- Include commentary and feedback garnered from stakeholder forums
- Highlight success stories and progress that is already being made
- Create a call to action for public officials and San Diego County leaders
Stay in the loop
Join our mailing list to receive updates on SDSCF's work involving San Diego senior centers.