The San Diego Seniors Community Foundation is in the process of completing a comprehensive, first-of-its-kind study of every senior center in San Diego County. The study will identify challenges and opportunities for improvement. As the senior population in San Diego continues to grow, SDSCF believes that investment in senior centers will play a major role in improving the wellbeing of older adults.
While the complete study will not be released until Summer 2019, our team has reported these preliminary findings:
- The majority of facilities countywide are older and in need of renovation, repair, and additional or newer equipment.
- Across the board, lack of resources limits the ability of senior centers to expand available services and programs and increase qualified staffing.
- Funding for senior centers is limited by tight municipal budgets, a lack of fundraising infrastructure, and no culture of philanthropy.
- Outreach programs to identify and serve socially isolated seniors are minimal.
- Many seniors are unable to access transportation to and from senior centers.
- The size and number of existing senior centers are inadequate to serve the senior population—a problem that will be exacerbated in
- We believe philanthropy is the solution to many of these issues.
To receive a copy of the full report when it is released, please enter your contact information below.
Yes! I want to be on the Senior Center Assessment Report distribution list.